Because of Jim, a community garden thrived at my home in Half Moon Bay. He and his friend, Cookie, helped build raised beds, plant seeds and celebrate a bountiful harvest with neighborhood children. I was deeply touched by Jim’s patience and dedication. He came faithfully, week after week, during the six month project that brought all ages together in healthy living. Vegetables towered up to my art studio window where we finally celebrated with food made from our flourishing garden.
I took many pictures of Jim while he leaned over to a child’s side and carefully showed them how to plant a seedling. Jim's love continues to grow. The other day a nine year old boy came to my studio for tutoring. He asked me about the photo of Jim sitting on my table. I told him about how Jim helped with the garden project, his generosity, and that Jim had recently died. We both went outside to the raised bed soon after and I watched as this young boy delighted in a ripe tomato that I let him pick. I felt Jim smiling with the sunshine that made a guest appearance by our side.
Carla Brooke
No comments:
Post a Comment